Saturday, May 2, 2009

Laziness

Even though most of the content in Medicine is really interesting, there are times, like today, where I can't seem to do any work. And it annoys me because I'm trying to read a textbook or something productive, but I don't concentrate because I'm not in the studying zone. Or a gaming zone. Or anything-at-all zone, really; it feels like a do-nothing-cause-I-can't-do-anything-else day. All the while it's paining me that I could be using this time to work towards something, anything.
*yawn*
I also tutor high school students in my subject of interest, Software (SDD), for HSC. To be frank, tutoring has nil impact on my study situation at the moment (which I think is ok compared to my HSC, but still dismal), and I tutor... 7 hours a week. So it seems like its more than doable to hold a job whilst studying Medicine.

I'd like to comment on Medicine's workload so far - and it's lived up to the expectations in terms of the amount of content covered, but also the relative ease of the content, versus some really brain-boggling stuff my friends are dealing with in Law, Computer Science and Engineering. The exception to this is probably the huge mechanisms for things like the Kreb's Cycle (google or wiki for the goodness of this 8-step cycle taking place in the mitochondria of a cell) and the biochemistry; and perhaps some pharmacology, but the rest is pretty easy to digest. It's also possible, at the moment, to only do 4-5 hours of week per week and still manage to get by, by simply using the time at university productively (I'm doing about an hour a day, which is pretty low methinks - aiming to obviously ramp it up a bit). I'm certain both the difficulty and quantity of Medicine would increase, mainly the latter. It's all just a matter of keeping up with the program though, and you're in no danger of having no time for a social life in your med student years. The future, however, is a little less uncertain...

No comments:

Post a Comment