Tuesday, May 19, 2009

2nd Last Week of ICM for the Semester...

Today our ICM, and next week's ICM, was a review session. In essence, we didn't watch the videos of actors portraying medical students doing interviews, but instead went straight to the wards for some friendly non-assessable assessment of our History taking skills and bedside manner. We managed to fit three histories into one session, and I just so happened to be the last, which caught me unaware - nonetheless I did my history without any real fuss, but wasn't really thinking quite as optimally as I would have liked. Today was also special because:

1) We introduced our tutor, Dr Zelas (a middle-aged male surgeon) to Twilight via a patient who was reading New Moon (one of the novels in the Twilight series), and;
2) We spent a good fifteen minutes after the session planning what to get for Dr Zelas as a thank-you present for this semester's ICM; apparently we will be switching ICM tutors next semester(but not our group, yay), and may be thinking of including said novel in the present package. Hah! It would be amusing if he finds he quite likes Edward and Bella; perhaps he's an old-faashioned romantic, in which case he should take quite a liking to this novel aimed at the teenage female demographic! I have male friends who enjoyed the series; and I certainly enjoyed it (stayed up to 4am reading Twilight, and yes I'm quite straight) so the scenario of Dr Zelas sitting on a sofa reading Twilight until...twilight, might perhaps be not very farfetched at all, haha...

Apparently, we also switch PBL tutors this semester too. So we'll be looking to get something for our PBL tutor as well; although my absolutely shocking PBL assessment mark of 14/20 doesn't quite encourage me (though on second thoughts I was a bit quiet...) I will look forward to writing the cards. I get the impression that Dr Zelas has no clue what our names are, and that we might be quite forgotten in a few years time, but I hope the gifts might help jog his memory when we become colleagues, hah.

So it appears that each semester, we switch PBL and ICM tutors, have no idea in regards to switching PBL groups (although that may be quite possible), stay in our ICM groups, and stay at our chosen hospital (Blacktown, woo!) but also stay on the same day. It's unfortunate abotu switching PBL groups but I guess I look forward to working with other people and see what dynamics will appear in the new group :)

No comments:

Post a Comment