Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm Trying Hard

If you are a quiet type of person, with tendency to think much and say little, prepare to be interrogated by your PBL tutor. It doesn't always happen - some PBL tutors are nice enough to realise that you try to contribute and give you a pass mark (PBL marks are formative and only matter if you actually fail it or borderline failed your exam; in which case it can act as a vote to keep you in the course). Other PBL tutors are smart enough to realise that you only contribute when there's something new to add to the discussion, and keep quiet when the basics are being discussed by 10 (most likely) extroverts heatedly. I actually like PBL. I love how we get a new case every week; I love how everything is centred around a particular case, thus focusing the learning and giving it some sort of clinical perspective. I don't love how my PBL tutor has to give me a talk every second week about contributing. I'm not by nature a selfish person; I don't keep things to myself when I think they can help the group. So to be "talked" to is rather annoying, and rather pointless on the PBL tutor's behalf. The other thing is that I'm not particularly smart or hard- working compared to my cohort; nor do I have any relevant knowledge when it comes to PBL discussion (e.g. having been held back a year, or having done some sort of Science in uni - Science in High school barely counts). As a result, I don't exactly have much in the way of unique contributions to add. Because I'm really sick and tired of these end-of-PBL talks, I'm going to change this because this is clearly one area I can fix (I can't fix my personality) - I guess it will probably prepare me better for our exams too. It's just grating that it has to come to that; and moreover, I love how our group is active, talkative and quite knowledgeable. *Sigh*
On a happier note, yesterday was UWS' first Open Day for '10 entry (I think we have 3 or 4 Open Days, at various strategic times). Volunteering was quite fun; there was plastering and talking to various interested parties about our experience in Medicine and entry into the course. Lunch was pretty swell too; above standard fare I'd say. Ironically, I still haven't met the entire grade - shocking I know. So I talked to a few first and 2nd/3rd years that I hadn't met before; twas cool :) Finally, we got a little gift voucher as a token of appreciation by the university, and our Open Day T-Shirt - except they thought I was part of staff, so I got a staff polo shirt instead, hehe. I really shouldn't have kept wearing it though (as well as the lanyard with the word "Staff" in huge lettering) - when I walked into Best and Less, I was assumed to be a member of their staff.
And oh hey! Last day of Winter!!!! Yippee - today morning was such a stark reminder of the Winter season, I even wore my beanie. Then again, it was 7 oclock in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment