Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fun fun fun

Today was the funnest day in our course so far. Even though I was half-dead thanks to a(nother) throat/lung infection (it seems to be a side effect of my pneumonia from years ago), today was the best day ever, and there's only one phrase to describe it: practical practicals.
Why the tautology, you may ask? Because some practicals are not practical. But the practical practicals are the most fun, because you always see the whole point of it. It's the reason most (I say most, since some nuts love all that biochemistry, which is fine; each to their own heh) of us go into medicine; not to be a medical student, but to be a doctor.

So first off, after the morning dose of Vitamin C and Panadol, we had a Blood Pressure practical. Awesome. And then everyone took out their steths, and I think we were quite excited and all to start using them (although some groups in ICM seem to have used them right at the start of semester...). And then we hooked up a sphyg...(two seconds)...Sphygmometer (the rest of the nuts who don't love biochemistry do Medicine purely for the long and difficult-to-pronounce words) into some PowerLab equipment with input ports. And then we took our BPs. Multiple times. Above our head, at level with the chest, below the chest, it was all done. Eventually the excitement of measuring BPs faded off, before turning into...

Anatomy Excitement! Behold, the most important organ (according to cardiologists at least, from Talley and O'Connor) of them all; the heart! I'm not sure about you, but I've never dissected anything before. And today we got super-sharp scapels and sheep hearts to rip open! We also seemed to have a lot more surgeons in the lab than usual, so I was in a group of three who were supervised by a surgeon (I think; we were too engrossed in the heart to pay attention to his tag). Or, in other words, pure awesomeness.

I need to recover from all of that excitement, not to mention my infection. So I think I'll just do a brain dump into my notes from today, and take a nice, long, nap. zzzzzzZZZZZ...

No comments:

Post a Comment